While everyone’s eyes, ears, and …. imaginations have been focused on where Johan Santana would end up, the American League hot stove has been quietly churning. Here is a quick recap of some moves to date.
- The St Louis Cardinals acquired 3B Troy Glaus from the Toronto Blue Jays for 3B Scott Rolen.
A pretty even swap of talent, and a move that was initiated by Glaus’ request to be moved. Both are risky in terms of reliability, but can certainly produce when the stars align.
- The Texas Rangers signed Everyday Eddie Guardado to a one-year contract.
Guardado might be due for a new nickname, after battling the injury bug the past few seasons. Do the Rangers actually expect a full and productive season from Eddie, or is this just a desperation signing in a RP-thin market?
- The Oakland Athletics re-signed pitcher Justin Duchscherer to a one-year contract.
Solid signing. Duchscherer didn’t have his best year in 2007, posting an ERA over 3.50 for the first time in a full-season, but quality relief pitching is hard to come by these days and a guy like this is certainly a commodity.
Other notable moves…
- The Seattle Mariners signed infielder Miguel Cairo to a one-year contract.
- The Boston Red Sox sent some talent back to Japan; they sold pitcher Scott Atchison’s contract to the Hanshin Tigers of the Japanese Central League.
- The Kansas City Royals signed Hideo Nomo to a minor-league contract.
- The Chicago White Sox acquired A’s outfielder Nick Swisher for outfielder Ryan Sweeney and pitchers Gio Gonzalez and Fautino De Los Santos.
- The Milwaukee Brewers signed former Red Sox outfielder Gabe Kapler to a one-year contract.
- The New York Yankees re-signed Mariano Rivera to a three-year contract.
- The Tampa Bay Rays signed outfielder Cliff Floyd, to a one-year contract with a 2009 team option.